Job Title: Arts Coordinator
10 hours per week
Position is contracted at 1,000 per month
Part-time, grant funded position through June 30, 2011 with the possibility of being extended
The Canvas is a multi-disciplinary, arts recreation program located at Hancock Recreation Center, 1610 Hubbard Avenue W, in St. Paul and is a partnership with COMPAS and the City of St. Paul Parks and Recreation Department. We are currently seeking an arts administrator with experience working with youth, grades 7 - 12, to help develop and promote the Canvas.
The hours for this position will be arranged based on the needs of the center and scheduled programs. Regular weekday hours will run late afternoon to evenings during the week. It is expected that the Arts Coordinator will be on site during evenings when workshops or events are taking place. The Arts Coordinator is responsible for working with The Canvas Youth Leadership Council (CYLC) and the City Youth Coordinator to plan and coordinate the activities, exhibits, performances and events at the center as well as completing administrative tasks and building relationships with youth. The Arts Coordinator will also partner with the Canvas Artist-in-Residence to plan and implement programs.
The majority of the Arts Coordinator's time will be spent at the Center during open hours, but sometimes it may be necessary to attend meetings at other locations or at during different times of the day.
The Arts Coordinator will:
1. Help plan and implement high quality arts programs including workshops, demonstrations, exhibits, performances and special events
2. Be comfortable working with or learning how to manage a variety of art forms - from coordinating a spoken word event to hanging a gallery exhibit
3. Form collaborations with community organizations, groups and artists to increase attendance
4. Help write press releases (through the City), calendars and promotional posters, postcards, flyers and other materials to promote The Canvas. Manage social media such as the website, blogs, event calendars and FaceBook
5. Understand and work with a budget for the program in partnership with Canvas staff
6. Ensure that arts equipment organized and in working order, and that the appropriate supplies are available for youth and for workshops
7. Ensure that technical and materials needs of visiting artists are met
8. Work with COMPAS staff to manage billing/invoices so that artists get paid and/or reimbursed for materials
9. With Parks and Recreation staff, oversee documentation such as attendance at events, feedback, evaluations and participation
10. Contribute basic text, feedback and statistics as needed for grants
11. Help ensure that The Canvas is a clean, safe and healthy environment
12. Other duties as assigned
§ Possess a strong background in building relationships with youth, youth work and leadership and/or education (minimum 3 years)
§ Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in the arts and/or arts education
§ Ability to speak enthusiastically to groups and willing to visit schools and youth programs to promote the Canvas and to build partnerships.
§ Knowledge of the Twin Cities arts community, knowledge of St. Paul helpful, but not required.
§ Ability to work independently yet in collaboration with The Canvas team
§ Organized, with good follow-through and accountability on projects
§ Demonstrated ability to create and implement affordable promotions
§ Able to use a computer, e-mail, word-processing, web and database systems
§ Comfortable working with a variety of people and urban youth in a public setting that is often very busy
Applicants should understand that The Canvas is a creative program that exists within a multi-purpose recreational center. Municipal guidelines must be followed. This position will report to staff at COMPAS and staff from Parks and Recreation. Individuals will need to pass a background check in order to be hired.
Please mail a cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the job and your approach to youth work, a resume and the names and contact information for 3 professional references to:
Betsy Mowry, The Canvas, COMPAS, 75 Fifth Street W, Ste. 304, St. Paul, MN 55102
Deadline: Friday, October 14, 2011