contact name: Kathleen Heideman
Heideman served as Developer of MCAD Online Learning at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design (2001-2008) and Interim Director of Online (2008), resigning in 2008 to pursue her creative work. She earned a BFA from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and an MA in English from Northern Michigan University.
Kathleen M. Heideman has been named Artist-in-Residence at Badlands National Park. Heideman is a Fellow of the National Science Foundation's Antarctic Artists and Writers program. Past residencies include Eastern Frontier Society, Anderson Center for Interdisciplinary Studies, and Artist-in-Residencies through the National Park Service at Isle Royale National Park, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Voyageurs National Park, Devils Tower National Monument, and Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Her work has received support from the Bush Foundation, Jerome Foundation, The Loft, McKnight Foundation, MN Center for Book Arts, and the MN State Arts Board.
Heideman has participated in professional conferences on Art Education and Technology (Educause, Syllabus, Sloan-C), addressing such regional and national forums as the Alliance of Independent Colleges of Art & Design, the Nat. Assoc. of Schools of Art & Design, Finlandia University, the Women's Caucus for Art, and the International Conference on Teaching & Learning in Havana Cuba. Her work is included in the anthologies Riffing on Strings: literary responses to String Theory (Scriblerus Press) and 33 Minnesota Poets (Nodin Press). She is the author of two limited edition fine arts chapbooks: Explaining Pictures to a Dead Hare (Traffic Street Press) and She Used to Have Some Cows (La Vacas Press).
* Poetry Reading, Northern Michigan University, 2008
* Poetry Reading, Saint Croix National Scenic Riverway, 2008
* Coreopsis Poetry Reading, Black Dog Cafe, Spring 2007
* Birch Bark Books Salon Poetry Reading, Minneapolis, Spring 2006
* Women's Caucus for Art Regional Conference, MN Summer 2002
* SASE Reading at the Mildred Pierce Cafe, Winter 2001 (with Phebe Hanson and Rebecca Alm, reading selections from TIMEUPONONCE)
* Keynote ('Tracking Curiosity: Lake Superior to Antarctica') at Northern Michigan University, March 2008.
* Psychology Colloquium ('Mind on ICE'), Northern Michigan University, March 2008.
* Presentation ('Tracking Curiosity'), St. Croix Watershed Research Station, MN, December 2008.
* Presentation ('Creative Hindsight') at the Sloan-C Foundation's conference on Asynchronous Learning, Fall 2002.
* Presentation and workshop ('The Joy of PDF'), Alliance of Independant Colleges of Art and Design, Spring 2002.
* Panel presentation ( 'Art Education & Technology' ) at the Annual Meeting of the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, Fall 2000.
* Lecture and poetry reading ( 'Poetry - People & the Land' ) at Finlandia University, Hancock MI, Fall 2000.
Heideman's poetry has appeared in such literary publications as 100 Words, Conduit, Confluence, Cream City Review, Exquisite Corpse, Loonfeather, Passages North, Seems, Steam Ticket, Switched-on Gutenberg, Tertulia Magazine, Tonopah Review, Water-Stone, etc.
Country of Citizenship:
November 1, 1968